08 July 2009

The Royal Nonesuch Farewell Tour '39 (Women And Children Not Admitted)


This week in ironic literary fashion, via the Chicago Tribune: A store called "Novel-Tees" offers T-shirts inspired by fictional locations by Dennis Lehane, Chuck Klosterman and (at left) Nick Hornby. Put more simply, it's Glarkware for books. The proceeds benefit the National Association to Protect Children, which works on issues related to the federal Internet Crimes Against Children task force.

You could go a million cool places with this concept. I'd love to see some corporate-challenge gear inspired by THEN WE CAME TO THE END but I don't think the agency is ever named in the book... pity. Where else?


In penance for once again invoking Rob Gordon (summer is for reruns!), top 5 literary Threadless tees:

1. Attack of Literacy
2. Shakespeare...
3. Movies...
4. Haikus are easy
5. Books are good for you

4 comments:

8yearoldsdude said...

Much hay has been made of apparel for the fictional institutions and characters in Infinite Jest.

I think that some fictional Pierce & Pierce apparel that mimics the appalling understatement of bank swag (laptop cases, gym bags) would be pretty great.

Wade Garrett said...

I have seen some of the Infinite Jest stuff around, but I have never wanted to buy any of it as much as I now want to buy one of those Championship Vinyl t-shirts.

I have seen some Pierce & Pierce t-shirts, but instead of having the straight-faced corporate logo and imitating something that a banking executive would actually wear - for instance, I saw one that said "Pierce & Pierce: Murders and Executions" which just sort of ruins the reference for me.

I would love to see a t-shirt bear one of the superheroes created by Sam and Joe in The Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, or a rock band t-shirt for the Ormus Cama/Vina Apsara group from The Ground Beneath Her Feet. Actually, the more that I think about it, a fake rock concert t-shirt from the 80's with Vina Aspara and Ormus Cama on it would be really baller.

8yearoldsdude said...

I had forgotten that Patrick Bateman also works at Pierce and Pierce. (Sherman McCoy worked there first).

the campy lawyer jokes in the firm names from Bonfire (e.g., Dunning, Sponget, and Leach)
could also be fun.

Ellen said...

No one takes the treadmill next to the guy with the Pierce & Pierce gym bag.