16 July 2009

How to smell like books

No dead virgins necessary! Via 52 books: A perfumier has created a library-smelling perfume with notes of "English novel, Russian & Moroccan leather bindings, worn cloth and a hint of wood polish."

Writes Christopher Brosius, "I love books, particularly old ones. I cannot pass a second hand bookshop and rarely come away without at least one additional volume... Don't you find there are few things more wonderful than the smell of a much-loved book?" Good point, but we've all been in that library or used bookstore that smells like silverfish and old-lady-basement, and no one wants to bottle that up (or breathe it in).

Even though I'm not sold on the category, here are more book-scented options you won't find in the department store. Not saying that you smell bad! You smell fine! I mean, you smell like you should! However that is!:
Recommended reading:
Chandler Burr, "The Scent of the Nile," the New Yorker on the creation of a new Hermès scent.
Vendela Vida, "America's Deodorized Fiction," Slate.com on the use of evocative smells in literature.

1 comment:

Marjorie said...

Vendela Vida's piece is interesting. I immediately thought of Michael Chabon, who picks up on the oddest details sometimes, including smells. When my dad was reading Wonder Boys, I remember him saying that it was really strange Chabon seemed to know--accurately--what it smells like when you pick up an animal that's been dead a couple hours. I also remember how Chabon describes a character in Kavalier and Clay having a spicy, angry smell like freshly sharpened pencils. But those are one-liners, which are apparently not what Vida is looking for. However--I don't think the book she quotes at the beginning of the essay is one I want to read, so the smells she wants to read about may not be the smells I want to read about...