09 July 2008

Reading on the Road: What (part of) my family is reading

I used the Fourth last weekend as a convenient excuse to go home for the first time since Christmas and enjoyed a slothulous three days of sleeping, reading and having other people make decisions for me. (We're an opinionated crew, so this isn't a burden for them.) Sadly the West Coast bureau wasn't able to make it back for the holiday, but here's what the rest of the clan is reading:

DAD: Recently finished the books I gave him for his birthday, David Gilmour's THE FILM CLUB and Mike Daisey's 21 DOG YEARS. I interviewed Mr. Gilmour about his memoir on watching movies with his son, although I haven't watched his recommendation ("True Romance") yet. Dad and I have been movie buffs together for years; this weekend he forced me to finally watch "Chinatown," and I am so glad he did. Dad liked THE FILM CLUB but really liked 21 DOG YEARS though some of the business in it cut a little close to his line of work.

MOM: Was perhaps the last woman in America to have read Jennifer Weiner's chick-lit classic GOOD IN BED, which she really liked although the title made her a little embarrassed to read in public. We went book shopping together and on my recommendation she bought CERTAIN GIRLS.

CHLOE (age 17): Has a box of books about India Mom bought for her that she is steadfastly ignoring, although she will be off there in less than two months now. (Don't worry, Mom, it's not personal.) She also disdains the Sara Paretsky novels my mom and I like so much. I did catch her reading a TIME-LIFE history of 1968, for reasons unknown to me.

MAX (also 17): Scoffed when I asked him what he was reading because "my brain is melted in the summer." (Cut the kid some slack, he just served his first week as an intern.) But he did just finish DEVIL MAY CARE, the new James Bond novel written by Sebastian Faulks. He liked it [spoilers] more than the Guardian did.

For myself, I finished 3 books this weekend but came back with my carry-on stuffed. Note to self: Don't bring reading material home, home will provide!

No comments: