01 July 2008

July sneak peek: Batter up!

Want to pre-mock my choices in reading material? Here are some things you can expect to find on Wormbook this month:

Item the first: In honor of my trip to Boston, a city where I spent a fair amount of time when I was in college in nearby Rhode Island, I'm doing a series on the books I liked best each year of my higher education. (Yes, I kept lists back then of all the books I read. NERD.) This is a vanity project I understand, since in 10 years I probably won't remember where and when I read each book and I may want to have a record of that. But hopefully it will remind you of some of your favorite books, for school or for fun, in your past.

Item the second: My second appearance on Talk of the Town is tentatively set for July 16. I'm going to be talking about a much anticipated (for me) book, Jancee Dunn's DON'T YOU FORGET ABOUT ME. This first novel isn't out yet, but my review should make it clear whether you should buy it or not. Incidentally, Dunn is a former MTV VJ who grew up in my boyfriend's home town in New Jersey and on whom he had has the biggest crush. Tee hee.

Item the third: The last week in July, I'm going to do another theme week a la Candace Bushnell week. Only rather the opposite, because instead of looking for labels or love we will be stealing bases and striking out for Baseball Week! In honor of America's national pastime, I'll be reading and talking about the Brooklyn Dodgers in THE BOYS OF SUMMER, buying a better team with MONEYBALL, going in the dugout with the Reds in THREE NIGHTS IN AUGUST and cheering on an eerily good player with Bernard Malamud's THE NATURAL. (I may add a fifth book to that lineup -- read any good baseball fiction lately?) Look for that starting July 28th.

And, of course, I'll be tackling my summer reading pile -- hooray for outsized expectations.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's not fiction, but Jim Bouton wrote a memoir about pitching for the Seattle Pilots (who were only around for a year). It pissed off a lot of ballplayers because he talked about what it was really like - drinking, amphetamines, chasing ladies, and rivalries - instead of the usual "everything was great and it's an honor to play the game" b.s.