10 July 2008

My Dirty Little Reviewer's Secret

I know this is going to be a bit of a shock, so you might want to sit down.

Sometimes, I review books for which I am not, strictly, the person most qualified to do so in the world. Or even in the U.S. (or, heck, New York City).

Paradoxically it's a feeling I've gotten more, not less, as I've been writing more book reviews and occasionally getting paid for them. When a book I've reviewed turns up in the New York Times, I know when I read it (after I've written my own, of course) that the person writing is probably more knowledgeable than I -- more true for nonfiction than fiction, I think, but it's there nonetheless.

But I do my best to write a top-notch book review, which sometimes includes a little homework. If I'm reviewing a second novel I'll try to get my hands on the first (something that works against the author if I like the first one better); I try to keep up with what she or he has written recently and perhaps a few germane biological details. This policy I quasi-set for myself against my inferiority complex is about to bite me, HARD.

I got a book to review this week from a very famous author. Let's call her "Ainslie Copper."* Ms. Copper is a best-selling author who is richer than Croesus and much more beloved.** It's not that I've avoided the works of Copper by design; if I had run into one of them back when I used to read anything in my path, including books hotels place in your room as part of the artwork, I probably would not be in this predicament.

After a trip to the library, I now have four Ainslie Copper books to read before I get to the new one. This isn't an excellent survey, since she's about as prolific as Joyce Carol Oates***, but it's what I have time for. I hope I like Ainslie Copper, or at least can tolerate her, because otherwise this is going to be a long weekend.****

In other news, I would totally use Ainslie Copper as my pen name if I didn't already know an Ainslie. But I'm sure she won't be hurt that I called her super rich and well liked on the Internet.

*Name changed on behalf of the guilty (me).
**No, it's not J.K. Rowling. REALLY, people.
***And thus is not Joyce Carol Oates. See what I did there? I actually went through an Oates phase between 8th and 9th grades, although I have forgotten many of the salient details.
****On the other hand, with two 4-hour bus rides on the horizon I will probably feel grateful to have anything to occupy me. Right? Right?!

4 comments:

Jess said...

You are very dedicated. I hope you like the books.

Agnes B said...

Ainsley Hayes (Emily Procter)was one of the best minor characters on the West Wing. Procter left West Wing for CSI:Miami where she now plays a character named Calleigh Duquesne. I guess the cool names make up for her being an Ann Coulter doppleganger.

Is it impolite to guess? Because I'd say Jodi Picoult.

Ellen said...

AB, since you were first I will allow your guess but no others. It was not Jodi Picoult; I read My Sister's Keeper a year ago and thought it had an interesting premise but completely fell apart at the end. I would consider reading another one of her books, just haven't really had the opportunity to since. I know a lot of people have strong feelings about her, though.

Agnes B said...

A lot of the women I work with go ape over her books. Honestly, I'm not wild about them. I can't decide if it's because I first encountered the stories in their Lifetime MOV forms or if it's because they just don't hold my interest.