21 October 2011

The latest person to show a lack of respect to Roberto Bolaño

From, unsurprisingly, an Esquire piece about James Frey:

Richardson: But ultimately it's the stories, right? The stories that you're telling are genre fiction. You got your vampire story, you got your witch story. But the real stuff is gonna come from an individual who's sitting there working it out on his own with great ambition. It's not gonna be somebody who says, "I think I can do a pretty good rom-com."

Frey: But my point is there aren't really any Henry Millers left. Tell me one person in the world you think is doing that.

Richardson: Roberto Bolaño.

Frey: But Roberto Bolaño is dead.

Richardson: Recently.

Frey: But again, you're saying that one thing is somehow more valid or more important than the other.

Richardson: Yes, Roberto Bolaño is better than Teenage Action Ranger Force. Yes. I am saying that.

Frey: Who do you think has done more to keep the culture of books alive, Roberto Bolaño or J. K. Rowling?

Richardson: It's really kind of apples and oranges.

Frey: It's not apples and oranges at all. It's a pretty cut-and-dry answer.

Richardson: Really? Who do you think is more important: Picasso or Mickey Mouse?

Frey: Probably Mickey Mouse.

Richardson: So if you had a choice to buy something and put it on your wall, you'd choose Mickey Mouse instead of Picasso?

Frey: No, but —

Richardson: Then you're lying!

Frey: No I'm not!

Richardson: You're making a choice. You're making a distinction between what's good and bad.

Frey: No I'm not. I didn't say Picasso's more important than Mickey Mouse. I don't even necessarily think he is. He's just different.

Richardson: But when it comes time to put your money on it, you're choosing Picasso — and so collapses your entire flimsy edifice of self-justification.

Frey [visibly gritting his teeth]: You may think I'm a dick or arrogant or delusional or whatever, and frankly it doesn't matter to me. I've written four books. Published in thirty-nine languages. I sold millions and millions and millions of copies. Do I want to be more famous? I could give a shit. Do I want to publish in more languages? There are a few left. What matters to me is a hundred years from now when people look back at our time, what writers are they gonna say, "Holy fuck!" I think I am and will be one of those people.

3 comments:

8yearoldsdude said...

well, james frey may be rich, but at least he has no one's respect.

Marjorie said...

This is probably the most confusing profile I've ever read.

The Ghost Of Roberto Bolano said...

I would only be offended if that hack claimed to like any of my work. It would be grounds to haunt the living fuck out of him.