26 May 2010

Filmbook of Bad News: No, Brad Pitt, No

The American adaptation of "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" has a director -- David Fincher -- and a projected release date of December 2011. (Read my review of the Swedish adaptation here.) I found Fincher's last movie pretty but boring, and his next movie is the Aaron Sorkin-scripted Facebook movie (insert mp3 of me laughing hysterically), but I wasn't worried about this project in his hands till rumors that Brad Pitt would play Blomkvist.

Perish the thought! Quoth Jenni Miller of Cinematical, "Frankly, I can't imagine a more inappropriate, though typically Hollywood, casting choice." She puts forth Mads Mikkelsen which is a solid option, but my top choice is still Liam Neeson, because Blomkvist is supposed to be a little old and a little weatherbeaten. (Don't talk to me about CGI-aging Brad Pitt again.)

As for Salander, the names Carey Mulligan (ace) and Ellen Page (acceptable) have been tossed around, but Cinematical also reports that Noomi Rapace, who played her in the Swedish movies, is not interested in reprising her role. That's a damn shame, but not surprising; these films were huge blockbusters in Sweden and she probably doesn't want to be forever tied to the character.

2 comments:

Marjorie said...

Do you think Carey Mulligan has the anger and messed-up-ness for the role? I have loved everything I've seen her do, but she's always been rather sweet. She can smile like she's hiding something with the best of them, but I haven't seen her smile like she's hiding something vicious.

Emily said...

that would be awful