20 May 2010

Bill Bryson is not getting my postcards


Uh, Bill. We talked about this. You haven't published a travel book since 2002, and now you've come out with... a 512-page travelogue taking place inside your own house? From your site:
Bill Bryson and his family live in a Victorian parsonage in a part of England where nothing of any great significance has happened since the Romans decamped. Yet one day, he began to consider how very little he knew about the ordinary things of life as he found it in that comfortable home. To remedy this, he formed the idea of journeying about his house from room to room to "write a history of the world without leaving home."
That is not what I meant! You'd better have your bag packed tonight because I'm coming by with the truck at 5AM and we're going to reenact "The Great Race" with a cab full of pugs! Don't forget your towel!

(Still deeply looking forward to it. October 5.)

(And not actually going over to Bill Bryson's house.)

(Unless invited.)

2 comments:

Wade Garrett said...

I wish he would get back to travel books (the Shakespeare book was a let-down) but I'm looking forward to this anyway, because I really enjoyed The Thunderbolt Kid, and this seems to be sort of along those same lines.

Also, I bought a British mass-market paperback version of A shot History of Nearly Everything at a stoop sale the other day. I bought it in hardcover when it came out, but it just seemed like something I needed to have.

Marjorie said...

I did a piece of his for speech team one year in high school. Went all the way to State with it, even. It was from his book about moving back to the US. I wrote him a letter about it and he sent me the nicest reply. Somehow I feel vaguely hurt that he moved back to England again so soon.