28 May 2010

Reading on the Road: The Mayor Bloomberg Practically Handing Me My Boarding Pass Edition

It's not your imagination, this series has been on hiatus since I haven't left New York in five months. As much as I love this city, that is a little too intimate.

I was going to test-drive my Kindle on this trip, but several pages of tedious backstory later I didn't get around to it this week. Next time! I promise to actually leave the boroughs regularly from here on out. I'm off to Houston, Texas and here's my judicious mix of tote-bag paperbacks:
Michael Idov, GROUND UP -- debut novel about a coffee shop
Joe Queenan, CLOSING TIME -- debut memoir about blue-collar Philadelphia
Simon Rich, ELLIOT ALLAGASH -- debut novel about, well, I think it has to do with a prep school?
Truman Capote, IN COLD BLOOD -- self-explanatory, my first read (I know)
I've left some posts under the warmer in case you are stuck somewhere or not skipping town. (Or not American, and thus not observing Memorial Day. I asked a coworker what she was doing for Memorial Day and she heaved the most complex, marvelous, sad sigh, like a minor-key sonata. I of course had to ruin it by making a joke, but I know how she felt.

Have a great weekend! (And happy fifth birthday blog!)

No comments: