27 January 2010

Filmbook-to-Be: The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2010?)

Back in October it was announced that the Swedish adaptation of the first volume of Stieg Larsson's Millennium trilogy would be released in the U.S. after speculation that only the inevitable Hollywood remake would hit screens here. Here's the subtitled but NSFW trailer:

It opens March 12 (great day to debut) March 19 (thanks for ruining my joke, film industry) in New York and Los Angeles.

Regarding the inevitable adaptation, listed on IMDb with a 2012 release, a fun game to play with people who have read the book is to mock-cast its leads. None of these are spoilers but if you hate thinking of actors while reading, don't go on to the next paragraph.

I can see Keira Knightley in her "I'm going to get a bad haircut and do stunts in order to win an Oscar" capacity as Lisbeth Salander. (I would also be interested to see what Kristen Stewart would do there; aside from this whole vampire business, I think the kid can act.) Blomkvist is harder and if I had my druthers I'd get in a time machine and pick up 1980s William Hurt for the part, but I don't have my druthers (or a time machine). My dad suggested Liam Neeson, which was a stroke of genius considering he hasn't even read it yet. The flip side of this game is coming up with the worst possible cast, for which I've got down Kevin Spacey as Blomkvist and Hilary Duff as Lisbeth Salander. Dare you do worse?

2 comments:

Lime Toad said...

Ellen Page - the girl from Juno - for Salander.

Ellen said...

Lime, that's good! I haven't seen "Hard Candy" but I get the sense that would be in the direction her depiction would go. I'd definitely watch that movie.