02 January 2010

New Year's Reading Resolutions

Here were my resolutions for the past year:
1. Read Richard Yates' other novels, since I loved REVOLUTIONARY ROAD so much in 2008. Whoops. I read one of his novels, COLD SPRING HARBOR, but didn't like it.

2. Continue the Unbookening: going through the books I already own and haven't read, reading them, and trying to get rid of some before I buy more. Hooray, I did this. Except for March and April I was either even or gave away more than I got, which is better than last year.

3. Read one Modern Library list book a month. Oops. I read three -- HOWARDS END, OF HUMAN BONDAGE and APPOINTMENT IN SAMARRA -- and started WOMEN IN LOVE.
Oh well. New year, new raised expectations:

1. Finish the SANDMAN series. I've read two of the volumes, which means I have eight left, but they're quick reads.

2. Keep Unbookening. I thought about this a lot when I was at home over the holiday but I'll save the proselytizing for later.

3. Summer project: Read some more David Foster Wallace (first novel, three story collections, two essay collections) before THE PALE KING comes out. My best intel right now is that THE PALE KING will be out not this year, but in April '11; still, I think this would be fun. This is just a placeholder till I figure out what I actually want to do.

4. Read all the Modern Library books I currently own -- I haven't counted, but I believe there are 8.

Do you make resolutions about what you want to read in the coming year? Have one you want to share?

3 comments:

Wade Garrett said...

My goals:

1) Finally get around to reading Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell.

2) Read at least two more volumes of the Patrick O'Brian Aubrey/Mautrin series.

3) Re-read/finish Infinite Jest

4) Try to read some more books by local New York/Brooklyn authors

The last two are a little vague, but I think its good to have a few specific goals and a few general ones.

Nonickname said...

My goal every year seems to always be to catch up on the reading of books that I own and have yet to read. When I get a large stack of read books, I usually give them away or sell them at the 1/2 price book store, unless they are keepers. I always say that I will use the library more and buy less, but this rarely happens.

Ellen said...

W.G., that seems like a judicious mix with enough leeway that you won't get discouraged.

Moon: I know exactly what you mean. I thought about resolving not to buy any books, but sometimes I need them for book clubs and such, so instead maybe I'll lay off the impulse buys.