05 January 2010

Join an online book club this year!

The A.V. Club's Wrapped Up In Books kicks the year off with Joshua Ferris' THEN WE CAME TO THE END, a book I'm looking forward to re-reading. Discussion starts January 25. The next two books are Patrick O'Brian's MASTER AND COMMANDER and Stephen Dobyns' THE WRESTLER'S CRUEL STUDY.

The organization FKA Infinite Summer pledged to spend a few months on the long road of Roberto Bolaño's 2666, although no official schedule has been posted yet. (ETA: The blog BolañoBolaño.com has forged ahead with a schedule, planning to start Jan. 25.) Hopefully after reading it I will be able to answer why it's called 2666, as I was unable to when I unwrapped it Christmas morning. ("Uh... maybe part of it is in the future? Or it's a statistic? Why don't you go play with Penguin Race?")

Common Sense Dancing's new pick is Mark Helprin's WINTER'S TALE, starting Feb. 1. I'm not that familiar with Helprin -- failed to get through the first hundred pages of FREDDY AND FREDERICKA -- but this one comes well recommended and is set in New York City.

1 comment:

Kristine said...

Thanks for reminding me! I would definitively want to be part of an online book club. Was part of a book club when I lived in Seattle, and I really miss it. Discussions around books, and the push to read, sometimes books I hadn't thought about...