07 January 2010

First in-flight book ban takes effect

And so it begins: Transport Canada has banned carry-ons for U.S.-bound passengers citing "pressures at the security checkpoint" related to the attempted Underbomber. Passengers can carry on medication, coats and laptops, but have to check books and magazines, although if they wanted they could buy new ones after clearing security.

There's usually something worth reading in your average airport bookstore, but I wouldn't want to have to rely on that, especially since I like to plan what I'm reading in advance. But who would've thought this would start with Canada, the international equivalent of that girl in your high school class who is popular because she's actually nice to everybody?* And the caveat about being able to carry on what you buy in the terminal is reminiscent of the liquids ban, in a bad way. And unlike with liquids or shoes, no plot has surfaced so far suggesting terrorists were going to use books in any attack. (Judging by past practices, the TSA should be banning underwear right now. I'm not saying they will or that it's a good idea, but the record is there.)

The regulations, which began Dec. 28, will be in place "until further notice" according to a Jan. 4 press release. They're also offering pat-downs, in case you didn't get your relative hug quota over the holidays. And by offering I mean requiring.

---
*The U.S. in this analogy being the guy or girl who is the subject (possibly the source) of rumors every summer that s/he won't be coming back, only to surprise everyone in September by failing to move to Europe, get arrested or enroll in boarding school.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

How can I hijack a plane with a book?

"Take me to Miami, or I will read to you aloud from THE CATCHER IN THE RYE!"

The Rejection Queen said...

I am going for the 100 book challenge.

Ellen said...

Fine! I surrender! Er... I don't want to speculate specifically on how, because I still want to travel within and out of the U.S., but I can think of a few ways. But one would think those would be easily detectable during carry-on scanning, since it would be hard to get a book through the metal detector on your person.