01 May 2008

Unbookening Third Month Is Not The Charm


The Third Month of the Great Unbookening
8 books mooched
13 books checked out of the library
6 books received for review
Bought 6 books
Was given 1 book
Borrowed 1 book from a friend
Got 1 book back from a friend
= 36 books in.

4 books given away on BookMooch
13 books returned to the library
Sold 1 book on Amazon
Gave 6 books as gifts
Lent 2 books to a friend
Returned 1 book
= 28 books out.

Total: 8 more books in than out, a tiny, insignificant improvement over last month. Year to date: 34 more books in than out.

I read more books than last month but I'm still not getting through the stacks of books I own. So I did something drastic. Since I would have broken even with my books were it not for Bookmooch, I moved every single book on my wishlist (where the site e-mails you when a copy is available) onto my "save-for-later" list. The only reason I'll be visiting the site is to list books to give away. I'm aiming to mooch no books in May.

Adorable kitten bookend picture: baggis.

FYI, the books I read this month (italics denotes books I reviewed) were:
Chris Gainor, TO A DISTANT DAY: THE ROCKET PIONEERS
Sloane Crosley, I WAS TOLD THERE'D BE CAKE

David Simon, HOMICIDE: A YEAR ON THE KILLING STREETS
David Gilmour, THE FILM CLUB
Miranda July, NO ONE BELONGS HERE MORE THAN YOU
Kelly McMasters, WELCOME TO SHIRLEY
Adam Langer, ELLINGTON BOULEVARD
Anna Godbersen, THE LUXE
Cecil Castellucci, THE P.L.A.I.N. JANES
Kim Green, LIVE A LITTLE
Dave Ramsey, THE TOTAL MONEY MAKEOVER
J.M. Coetzee, DIARY OF A BAD YEAR
Jen Lancaster, SUCH A PRETTY FAT
Jay McInerney, BRIGHT LIGHTS, BIG CITY --
future Filmbook entry!
Jennifer Weiner, CERTAIN GIRLS --
review coming tomorrow!
Angela Bowie, BACKSTAGE PASSES

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Where can I read your book reviews?

Ellen said...

The only one online right now is the Sloane Crosley one, here.

That's where you'll find the Kelly McMasters and Jen Lancaster reviews, eventually. The Chris Gainor and David Gilmour reviews will be out in the May issue of PiQ Magazine.

Jess said...

Wow, not mooching any books for a whole month is a tall order. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Best of luck with the no mooching!