27 May 2008

1001 Books for 1001 Nights?

I try not to get suckered into those “999 Books You Must Read Now” memes. But I thought it would be an exercise in humility to check out, via Jaime Surplus, this list of 1001 books you must read before you die and, well, see how well I've progressed.

And the answer is, right now, I am so far behind I will never die. I’ve read 156 of these books, or just over 15 percent. But to be fair, 34 of the ones I have read were for school. Also, as a comparative literature major, I really should have read all of these, hmm?

I won't post the full list, but how about some meaningless statistics?
Books on this list I own but haven’t read: 13.
Books I’ve read and blogged about: Many, because there is a LOT of overlap I noticed between the Modern Library list and this list in the 1900s. In fact, an LNVSML book I’m currently reading is on the list (Ford Madox Ford’s THE GOOD SOLDIER).
Number of Joyce Carol Oates title I Googled to jog my memory: 2. I hadn’t read either one (I think). I went through a minor Oates phase in middle school.
Number of Paul Auster books on this list: Apparently 45 (this one goes out to Pearl, but seriously: When did he publish all these books?! He has a kid!)
Books on the list I have read in Spanish: 1, Javier Marias’ A HEART SO WHITE. I had to read it for school. I didn’t like it.
Book I would use my one vote to cast off the island: Julian Barnes' FLAUBERT'S PARROT. Maybe it's because I only had to read MADAME BOVARY, but I couldn't make head or tail of this book, nor did it entertain me at all.
Runner-up for casting off the island: W.G. Sebald's AUSTERLITZ. When I closed this book, all I could think was... "Huh?!"
The one book on this list you should read now, besides ANNA KARENINA: I'm feeling contrary so I'll go to bat for MAIN STREET by Sinclair Lewis. Read this book with a candle burning and you can see your future. Not really, but it's excellent.
Book I’m sure I read but I didn’t count because I can’t remember a damned thing, not even the ending, and what kind of lame-o can't remember the ending to a thriller for Pete's sake: Stephen King, THE SHINING.

Oh, and Jaime, I had to read CRY THE BELOVED COUNTRY in high school as well, though not TESS OF THE D'URBERVILLES. I suppose I should count myself lucky.

And yes, 1001 NIGHTS is on the list -- but I haven't read it.

1 comment:

flyingcupcake said...

Oh god. Paul Auster. I'm pretty sure he vommed onto his keyboard 45 times and that's what got published.