20 December 2012

Tournament of Books '13 is a Christmas miracle

I can only assume it was a gift to me that the Morning News' annual Tournament of Books selections were announced today, over a month earlier than last year, so as to give me more time to read all of them! But really, it is a gift to all of us. Take a look at the list (the ones I've already read have been italicized):


Laurent Binet, HHhH
Louise Erdrich, THE ROUND HOUSE
Gillian Flynn, GONE GIRL 
John Green, THE FAULT IN OUR STARS
Lauren Groff, ARCADIA
Sheila Heti, HOW SHOULD A PERSON BE?  (Fritz: if you're reading this, I owe you an email on it. I did not forget)
A.M. Homes, MAY WE BE FORGIVEN
Adam Johnson, THE ORPHAN MASTER'S SON
Miles Klee, IVYLAND
Hilary Mantel, BRING UP THE BODIES
Madeleine Miller, THE SONG OF ACHILLES
Alice Munro, DEAR LIFE
Maria Semple, WHERE'D YOU GO BERNADETTE
Jess Walter, BEAUTIFUL RUINS
Chris Ware, BUILDING STORIES
Pre-Tournament Playoff Spot: David Abrams, FOBBIT; Ben Fountain, BILLY LYNN'S LONG HALFTIME WALK; Kevin Powers, THE YELLOW BIRDS

8 comments:

jess said...

merry christmas to me, but holy crap i have a lot of reading to do! i knew they were going to trot out Bring Up the Bodies, which means I have to read the 600-page Wolf Hall very quickly. Dammit!

Ellen said...

I haven't read WOLF HALL yet either, if it makes you feel better.

I see BRING UP THE BODIES as the 1Q84 of 2013 -- the book I will have to put off in order to get through most of the others.

jess said...

are you going to try to fit in wolf hall too? i kind of feel like i have to? everyone says its a quick read, but oy, 600 pages! i only made it 2/3 thru 1q84 - sad but true.

i have only read gone girl and arcadia, but that extra month makes this seem possible! where are you going to start?

Ellen said...

Only in this universe is a 600-page book called a "quick read" sincerely!

Seriously, I think I'll re-use last year's strategy of throwing everything into my library queue and seeing what shows up. But I'll start with WHERE'D YOU GO, BERNADETTE because I have a copy. (Let me know if you want me to send it to you when I'm done.)

jess s said...

600 quick pages. What a breeze. It's just like Harry Potter 5, right? Are you part of the Tournament of Books group on goodreads? The banter is ramping up now that the list is out.

If you don't mind sharing Bernadette, that would be amazing. I was going to buy itbecause the hold queue for it is almost 200 people. Should I email my address to you? (actually i dont think i have yr email but i could goodreads message it to you) I will selflessly help with your unbookening cause.

I am starting with Orphan Master's Son because it's immediately available for kindle download from the library, and Faults in Our Stars because I requested it awhile ago and it's now available. The rest is up to the gods of the queue.

Ellen said...

Ooh, I don't think I AM in that group. Time to join though! Maybe someone can explain -- though I haven't read it yet -- why THIS IS HOW YOU LOSE HER didn't make the cut. I would have thought it was a certainty.

I am happy to share the wealth! And you can email me at lnvsml at gmail. :)

jess s said...

http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/3183-tournament-of-books

this is how you lose her was pretty much the best. i read it because i thought it would be in the TOB but i ended up just so grateful to have read it. junot probably doesnt want a rooster, anyway.

email to follow!

Saint Mooney said...

L, don't worry about it! Seeing it on all those year-end lists has been weird, because while I liked it a lot, I didn't think it was the best thing to happen this year. Anyway.