24 February 2011

Spotted on the subway: Magic!

I get on the train at 14th street. A woman gets on from another door and we end up sitting next to each other. She pulls out a book. I pull out a book. It's the same book.


It was CARTER BEATS THE DEVIL and you should all go out and read it, not just because I feel as though I ought to go out and buy a lottery ticket now.

For demographic context the woman across was reading a neon purple paperback with the word KILLING in the title (I want to say it was THE KILLING TIME, but can't find it online) and the guy next to me was reading SWAMPLANDIA! on his Kindle.

3 comments:

Wade Garrett said...

That's awesome. Did you ask her if she was reading it for WUIB? That would be a pretty awesome coincidence - and I don't think she would have believed that you were who you said you were. Just like nobody believes me when I tell them I'm Leonard Pierce.

Elizabeth said...

I thought one of the key features of the Kindle was that people can't tell what you're reading on it.

Ellen said...

Elizabeth: You can't tell from across the car, but you can tell if you are sitting next to a very nosy neighbor. I approve of SWAMPLANDIA! as a choice, though; I'm looking forward to it myself.

Wade: I did not ask her, because I am a robot who does not know how to read these situations. I did wait for her to look over and figure it out, which she did with a little gasp of shock. I guess the weirder thing is that, having gotten on at the same stop as me, she then exited the train at the same stop as me too. That was rather creepy.