22 September 2010

No just kidding, here's the real apocalypse

My high school, which has never seen a tradition it will not steal, is establishing a Hogwarts-style house system to boost school spirit. There are random assignments and there is a House Cup to be won with, I quote from the school newsletter, "challenging activities."

Keep in mind, I did attend to a boarding school, a British school or a magic school (though I would probably be a lot cooler if I had). This would be funny if it weren't so ridiculous.

3 comments:

Cleopatra Jones said...

as strange as that is, i'm still super jealous. haha. i would've killed to go to a hogwarts-style school. but i'm also a colossal nerd.

Elizabeth said...

A friend of mine's mother, whose British, really likes the Harry Potter books but can't imagine what Americans see in them since, after all, it's all satire about British boarding schools.

Thus I've been harboring a hope that the house system is more an attempt to be like Eton than to be like Hogwarts. I'm hoping.

Ellen said...

Cleopatra Jones: Hey, I read all the Harry Potter books, I'm certainly not immune. It would be fun if people got into it! But knowing my high school, unless things have radically changed in the last 8, it would be a contest for people to out-act how much cooler they are than it, which is sad.

Elizabeth, I definitely think the satiric angle is lost on us Yanks. Anyway, it would be better if they're stealing from Eton, but the fact is that they're still stealing. Why not revive the old German-English Academy days if we're bothering to appeal to a glorious history?