27 February 2010

Love is not all: it is not meat nor drink
Nor slumber nor a roof against the rain;
Nor yet a floating spar to men that sink
And rise and sink and rise and sink again;
Love can not fill the thickened lung with breath,
Nor clean the blood, nor set the fractured bone;
Yet many a man is making friends with death
Even as I speak, for lack of love alone.
It well may be that in a difficult hour,
Pinned down by pain and moaning for release,
Or nagged by want past resolution's power,
I might be driven to sell your love for peace,
Or trade the memory of this night for food.
It well may be. I do not think I would.

--Edna St. Vincent Millay

(If you like Millay, Daniel Mark Epstein's WHAT LIPS MY LIPS HAVE KISSED is super -- and as a selective biography it won't take you forever to read.)

4 comments:

Marjorie said...

I didn't know this poem! I love how...not full of bravado it is. Just a sort of tentative confidence and faith.

And of course: oh, sonnets.

Nance said...

I love her so much, I didn't mind reading two biographies: Savage Beauty and A Life of One's Own. No woman writes about love so perfectly! Thanks for this post!

Mary said...

My grandmother had her poetry hanging in her bedroom. I love E. St.V M.
Mary

Ellen said...

Hooray for my fellow fans!

Nance, I've heard of SAVAGE BEAUTY but not the other one. Everything I've read says the former is excellent though. I should read more biographies; I don't make enough time for them in general.

Marjorie: "Oh, sonnets" is basically how I feel as well. I would wear that on a T-shirt. I would join that club.