01 February 2010

January Unbookening got it all wrong

An inauspicious beginning to the new year:

Checked 18 out from the library
Got 13 to review
Bookmooched 1 (Patrick O'Brian's MASTER AND COMMANDER, for Wrapped Up in Books)
32 in

Returned 14 to the library
Donated 8
Lent 2
Gave 2
26 out

Ouch! I didn't even buy anything! (But not for lack of trying; I hit a few bookstores over the weekend looking for WINTER'S TALE, without success.)

The reasonable explanation for this is that at the end of December my cache of review books was pretty empty, and then starting in January books for the next few months flooded in. But I knew that was going to happen, and I could have made more room. Well, better luck next month.

Not counted on either list: the e-book I checked out from the NYPL (yep, I'm getting back on that horse!) or the book I finished on the Kindle. I'm not sure how digital books should factor in given that the original goal of this enterprise was to reduce or manage my physical book collection. At the same time, buying or borrowing a lot of e-books also creates a kind of clutter. What do you think?

3 comments:

Wade Garrett said...

I bought my copy of Winter's Tale at a stoop sale for $1. Its funny, but that book, like Master and Commander, seems to turn up at a ton of library sales, stoop sales, thrift stores, etc, except that, when you actually want to find it, they never seem to have it and you have to go to the big chain bookstore to find a copy in whose margins you can write.

This, of course, is a different phenomenon than that of the used bookstores on Smith Street and the Goodwill on Atlantic Avenue in Brooklyn coincidentally filling up with copies of Geek Love, The Woman Chaser, and Little, Big a month or two after Wrapped Up in Books was finished with them. I'm sure that if you were to look for a copy of Master & Commander in May of 2010 there would be plenty of copies in circulation.

Marjorie said...

I'm sad that you were unsuccessful in finding a copy of WINTER'S TALE in New York City. It seems wrong. I bought mine at the lovely big bookstore next to Bryant Park that went out of existence a few months after I moved to New York.

Marjorie said...

(also, hi, just catching up on back entries a month late...)