06 March 2009

Whatever Zadie wants, Zadie gets

Here's what Zadie Smith is assigning to her class at Columbia University (via the New Yorker blog Emdashes). I must really have my head in the sand -- I had no idea she was teaching a course in my own backyard! My new mission is to spot her in the bagel line at Nussbaum & Wu or buying Pull'n'Peels at the Duane Reade.

I've been thinking a lot about Smith actually because I'm deep in HOWARDS END, the book on which her third novel ON BEAUTY was "loosely based." I read ON BEAUTY first but now I'm itching to re-read it as soon as I finish my Dailylit deliveries.

1 comment:

Wade Garrett said...

I've had Zadie Smith's books on my shelf for years. I finally got around to starting White Teeth a couple of weeks ago, and finished it this morning. I loved it - I sort of compare it to a British Bonfires of the Vanities. And I mean that in the best possible way. I can't wait to read On Beauty.