03 March 2009

Coming to theatres: "Never Let Me Go"

From my friend D.: Keira Knightley is in talks to star in an adaptation of Kazuo Ishiguro's 2005 novel with screenplay by Alex Garland ("The Beach," "Sunshine") directed by Mark Romanek ("One Hour Photo," plus the music videos for "99 Problems" and the Johnny Cash version of "Hurt").

Without spoiling the book*, which I didn't particularly like, I think this casting is spot-on if she's being considered for the lead. And I like Knightley, but the coldness... oh, the coldness. It might be interesting to do a Filmbook entry for a book I actively disliked to see if the movie was able to change my mind.

*If you haven't read it, do not search for any news about this adaptation because a lot of stories spoil it right up front. The indignity.

1 comment:

Wade Garrett said...

Keira Knightley is gorgeous and seems to have been born to play British women in depressingly-as-hell literary adaptations. Sign me up!