10 March 2009

Four Literary Accounts To Follow On Twitter

When not obsessively reorganizing my Goodreads to-read list, I can often be found idling on Twitter, chatting with friends and being entertained one 140-character update at a time. While I'm more likely to report on my apartment or plot nefarious deeds than talk about what I'm necessarily reading, sometimes I get into discussions of books -- why just today, my pal GollyGeeGidget mentioned that she could get seven of the eight ANNE OF GREEN GABLES series books for free for her Kindle, and how odd it was that the eighth one was not free.* If you tweet, here are four reading-related accounts you should follow:

TwitterLit
. Twice a day this account tweets the first lines of books and allows you to click through, if you like what you read, to find out what the book is. I can't think of any books offhand that I found and loved through the service, but if you like first lines in general, it's pretty neat.

DailyLitBigRead. The e-mail novel series DailyLit launched this account to try and get people on Twitter to all read the same book at the same time. They're on hiatus now after the first selection, "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," but I'm sure they'll be back.

FLWBooks
. This offshoot of the new website Flashlight Worthy Books delights in lists -- like books set in New Jersey, books of "Mad Men" or "Books about Disney's Corporate Mishegoss." Yep, they actually use the word mishegoss. Now that's chutzpah. Anyway, I have a half-baked Flashlight Worthy list somewhere, but in the mean time you should check out theirs.

NickCarraway. Speaking of "Mad Men," last summer some fans of the show set up ranks of characters' Twitter accounts which sent messages, baited each other and responded to fans. After initially trying to shut them down, AMC allowed these fan-created accounts to live, and I hope if the Fitzgerald estate ever cottons on to this one -- really an irregular dispatch of quotes from THE GREAT GATSBY -- it will be left as a tribute to the great book in question.

*It wasn't the last one in the series, either; it was ANNE OF INGLESIDE, the 6th book. Go figure.

No comments: