24 August 2008

Stray thoughts for Sunday

  • Given my love of YA phenomena it's probably not surprising that I feel myself getting sucked into the TWILIGHT hoorah. But from what I've read, these books are addictive but so poorly written I would have to read them with a glass of wine in my hand -- or several. (Something I never do: My recall goes out the window, which sort of defeats the purpose.) That would be kind of a fun gimmick though: So I Drank Red Wine And Read TWILIGHT...
  • Hey Ellen, how's cutting back on library books working for you? Uh, not so well really! I have 10 out right now and will probably be down to 8 by the end of the month, so there's a little progress. But I've racked up about $15 in fines this year, clear proof that I have too many out. (And $7 of them were on that James Frey book. You owe me, Frey!)
  • Today's New York Times etiquette question about removing a bad book club member is making me paranoid that someone is writing in about me. I joined less than eight months ago, and it was totally kosher with the organizers... I think... Nah, I'm pretty sure it wasn't me. For one thing, all of the books we've read have been good, or at least good enough for me to not be obnoxious about them. It is a good question, though!
  • I'm going to my first Mets game this afternoon; with this being Shea Stadium's last year, the hour-plus-each-way trip seemed worth it. I'm meeting friends there for an afternoon of fun in the sun (including one pal who was only told to meet the rest of us in Queens -- what she thinks we're doing, I have no idea!) but going early because it's Free T-shirt Day. Number of books bringing: Two... no wait, maybe three.

No comments: