30 August 2008

Staycation Reading

Haven't you heard? Everyone's staycating this year instead of going somewhere. It's the newest and coolest, according to the New York Times! I'm really at the forefront of this trend because of all the staycations I took last year, which had nothing to do with the fact that I was unemployed for two months. No connection at all.

In any case, I'm staying in New York over Labor Day weekend not because I'm a sad-sack but rather because my dear old dad is extending a business trip to spend a few days in the city with me. He doesn't get here tomorrow, but today I'm off to the beach sans cell phone, avec a few (I hope) good reads:
  • Emma Donoghue, SLAMMERKIN and LIFE MASK. I just got a copy of Donoghue's newest book set in 1800s England, THE SEALED LETTER, and am looking forward to immersing myself in this world while doing things its women can't do, like wearing pants.
  • Joseph O'Neill, NETHERLAND. Weirdly enough, this book found its way to me at the library right after I had the opportunity to hear the author read. I've already read a few chapters, but I'm getting the sense it's the kind of book that deserves to be devoured in one (beach?) sitting.
  • Jean Chatzky, MAKE MONEY, NOT EXCUSES. I had hoped to have had this read before my Talk of the Town appearance this week, and that didn't happen, but I'm interested in what I guess you could call a woman-powered approach to personal finance. (Farnoosh Torabi also worked for her at one point and thanks her in YOU'RE SO MONEY.)

1 comment:

Anna Weaver Lopiccolo said...

Just don't get burned.