20 August 2008

"I still had this idea that there was a whole world of marvelous golden people somewhere, as far ahead of me as the seniors at Rye when I was in sixth grade; people who knew everything instinctively, who made their lives work out the way they wanted without even trying, who never had to make the best of a bad job because it never occurred to them to do anything less than perfectly the first time. Sort of heroic super-people, all of them beautiful and witty and calm and kind, and I always imagined that when I did find them I'd suddenly know that I belonged among them, that I was one of them, that I'd been meant to be one of them all along, and everything in the meantime had been a mistake; and they'd know it too. I'd be like the ugly duckling among the swans... It's a thing I wouldn't wish on anybody. It's the most stupid, ruinous kind of self-deception there is, and it gets you into nothing but trouble."

--Richard Yates, REVOLUTIONARY ROAD

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Once again being unable to comment on your other blog, I comment here about the Gossip Girl dogs:

I saw a dog like that in Baltimore the other day! I thought it was a werewolf. I was on a bicycle at the time, and concluded that if it leapt for my throat I probably would not be able to escape. Fortunately, it wasn't hungry.