29 January 2008

Lag time

I've been feeling a lot like bookgirl described recently: Between review books and challenge books, I have stacks of "must-reads" that feel a little overwhelming. My last couple trips to the library I haven't even strayed to the New Arrivals shelf as I try to "read down" the library books I have (and there are eight of those).

Still, I was reminded yesterday of how much I still enjoy reading when, frankly, I was prevented from doing so. I came down with a nasty case of food poisoning on Sunday night and spent almost all of Monday in bed, unable to do more than push buttons on my iPod. I stared longingly at my bookshelves like I stared at the food in my fridge I felt too upset to eat.

Here are a few books I'm looking forward to fitting in, just for fun:

Francesca Delbanco, ASK ME ANYTHING. A BookMooch find -- the premise (advice columnist by day, actress by night tries to balance her two lives) just seemed really interesting.

Kenneth Anger, HOLLYWOOD BABYLON. Before there was Star and OK! and US Weekly, there was this book which dished the dirt on classic stars like Bette Davis and Clark Gable. Another BookMooch find.

Joseph Berger, THE WORLD IN A CITY. This book about the neighborhoods of New York was a Christmas gift. I love reading about New York, so I'm pretty sure I'm going to love this one.

No comments: