21 October 2010

New York: The Bookslut Is Here

Well, she's been here for a few days anyway, but Jessa Crispin, founder of Bookslut.com, is speaking at Melville House in Brooklyn tonight at 7.

If I had to make a list of top 5 inspirations for me to start this blog, she and now the Bookslut empire would be on it for sure. One of the things I enjoyed the most about her blog was how vehemently she disagreed with the other sources of literary news I was reading at the time. When I started a blog I didn't really think in terms of voice or perspective, and to find someone who had such a clearly defined voice was instrumental. I realize there are many litbloggers who also excel in this arena, and that is why we love them, but she's the first one I found.

(All this from my forthcoming book, THE INTERNET USED TO BE BETTER/ GET OFF MY LAWN.) 

No comments: