18 October 2008

Pick yourself up, dust yourself off

I'm in kind of a reading rut right now. I realize it may not seem that way because I am always looking for and recommending new titles, but outside of my critical activities nothing has really grabbed me this month:
  • I read about two-thirds of OFF THE BOOKS: THE UNDERGROUND ECONOMY OF THE URBAN POOR, but couldn't bring myself to finish it. The book is written in the style I think of as "term-paperish," in which Venkatesh repeats his thesis multiple times in each chapter. I get it -- in the neighborhood he studies, the underground economy and the pursuits it encompasses (ranging from you-really-should-report-that to carries-lots-of-jail-time) touches everyone around and for many people forms their only source of income. The explication of the term "underground economy" is excellent, but the repetition is tiresome.
  • I enjoyed the essay collection THINGS I LEARNED ABOUT MY FATHER (IN THERAPY) to the extent that I was familiar with the authors therein collected. The essays, picked and edited by famous blogger Heather Armstrong of Dooce.com, are all from bloggers, but the ones I really liked were from blogs I had already been reading, like Que Sera Sera and Sweet Juniper. Of course, I don't know if I enjoyed those because of the context provided by the blogs or just because there is something about the writing style that I loved. I didn't hate the others -- only for one did I find myself counting the remaining pages -- but it didn't
  • I think I'm just not a Joseph Conrad person. Weekday by weekday I'm getting through THE SECRET AGENT, and... I just don't get it. I know I'm supposed to be more engaged because it's about Terrorism and The Individual Versus Society, but I just can't get a grip on any of the characters; they all seem so flat and uninteresting. Is it me, or is it Joe? (World to Ellen: It's you.)
In the past I would break up a reading rut by going book shopping, but holy cow, have I done enough of that. Instead I'm picking up my latest library request, Cormac McCarthy's THE ROAD, and hoping that will help. I was bowled over by McCarthy's NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN last year and from what I heard this book is even better. (It has also been adapted to the screen with Viggo Mortensen starring, although it's currently in post-production limbo.)

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

I was very disappointed in Venkatesh's GANG LEADER FOR A DAY: after hearing about it when Morgan took Prof. Levitt's course on the economics of crime, and hearing about it again in Levitt's FREAKONOMICS, maybe it couldn't live up to its hype?

Or maybe Venkatesh just isn't a very good storyteller. The story about how he first approached the South Side residents as a first-year sociology grad student armed with surveys is a great one, but I think I've told it better than Venkatesh did, and I wasn't even there.