27 January 2012

My five years with Marilyn

The role of Arthur Miller in the Oscar-buzzed biopic "My Week With Marilyn" is one of the most thankless parts in a movie full of them. Miller's job in the script is to show up, look awkward, and then be a real jerk so that Marilyn can seek solace in the movie's real hero, scrappy 3rd assistant director Colin Clark. Dougray Scott's performance as Miller is just stage furniture but that's not his fault.

I wasn't much moved by "My Week With Marilyn" overall because as we all know I hate Hollywood, and America, and sexiness. (Mostly I entertained myself on Kenneth Branagh, who seems to be having a really good time having a really bad time as Sir Laurence Olivier.) But Miller's life is rich enough to furnish its own biopic in which he is allowed to play more than just a nerd whose desire to have his own life is inconvenient to the plot.

No comments: