03 January 2012

The first books I bought from Amazon were...

This blog post, The last 13 years of my life in Amazon orders, made me want to track down what my first Amazon purchase was. Now, in my case the stat is slightly misleading because it wasn't the first time I had ordered from the site -- just the first time I did so using my own account. Prior to, looks like, fall of 2001, I would decide what I wanted and give the right amount of babysitting money to my dad, who was The Person Who Used Amazon In The House, and then he would order it.

Anyway:
These were for an independent study I did in high school. If we had a foreign-language bookstore (or even a section) in Milwaukee at the time, I didn't know where it was. (I could have tried the UWM bookstore, although I remember it as being kind of light on non-course books.) I'm not a huge Alberti fan, but I think I was encouraged to not just read Lorca for a full year and call it done. I later lent that biography to a tour guide based in southern Spain; I can't remember whether he mailed it back to me or I gave in and ordered another copy.

Now go look up yours and tell me what you found.

4 comments:

Emily said...

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. Order placed March 22, 2003. Shipped Friday, June 20, 2003. Makes sense. That was the summer after sophomore year of college.

Ellen said...

I went to a midnight party for that one! I was in Boston and we were waiting in line at a children's bookstore, and then saw that another bookstore down the street was selling it without a line so we went there.

jess s said...

HA! I bought All Families are Psychotic, Girlfriend in a Coma and My Son Divine by Frances Milstead within the same week. I was drunk with the power of consumerism.

Wade Garrett said...

That's definitely an interesting feature! Prior to law school, I used Amazon mainly to order seasons of televisions shows on DVD and to get a few hardcover books. The fall after the bar exam, before I started working, I ordered a LOT of books, mainly ones that came out when I was in law school, when I didn't have time to read them. After getting to New York, I started to ordersome hipper music and short story collections by authors in the McSweeney's orbit. One can track my descent into bookworm hipster douchebaggery.