07 January 2015

Tournament of Books 11: The shortlist arrives

Have at it:

Jesse Ball, SILENCE ONCE BEGUN
Will Chancellor, A BRAVE MAN SEVEN STOREYS TALL
Anthony Doerr, ALL THE LIGHT WE CANNOT SEE
Elena Ferrante, THOSE WHO LEAVE AND THOSE WHO STAY **3rd book in a series
Roxane Gay, AN UNTAMED STATE (I've read and reviewed this)
Lars Iyer, WITTGENSTEIN JR
Marlon James, A BRIEF HISTORY OF SEVEN KILLINGS
Phil Klay, REDEPLOYMENT
Emily St. John Mandel, STATION ELEVEN (I've read this)
David Mitchell, THE BONE CLOCKS (I've read part of this)
Celeste Ng, EVERYTHING I NEVER TOLD YOU
Jenny Offill, DEPT OF SPECULATION
Ariel Schrag, ADAM
Sarah Waters, THE PAYING GUESTS
Jeff VanderMeer, ANNIHILATION **trilogy
Evie Wyld, ALL THE BIRDS, SINGING

I was 8/16 in my predictions, which is as expected. Also, there's no round-robin for a spot, which I did not get correctly.

2 comments:

j.thrift said...

How many of them have you read? I only had 2, but I've since finished Untamed State so.... 3. Not my best start of TOB. I couldn't have done much worse, actually.

Ellen said...

2 and a bit (I read some of THE BONE CLOCKS). I have since checked a few out from the library, so I'm looking forward to digging in -- but daunted by the trilogy and the Ferrante since I assume I'd have to read the first 2 books first.

At least some of them, I hear, are short! A BRAVE MAN SEVEN STOREYS TALL is on digital sale today, by the way.