14 April 2014

Donna Tartt's Pulitzer Prize-winning bird

Donna Tartt's third novel THE GOLDFINCH won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction today.

I just finished this book to discuss at book club, in a talk that was pretty critical although ultimately more people liked the book than didn't. We all agreed it had some pacing/ plotting issues; for me, the coincidence-ness of the last third became distracting just as the action was picking up, and fell apart a little when I stopped to think about it. I liked Tartt's style, which several people in the club found distracting or too verbose. I remember being more impressed by THE LITTLE FRIEND, but found I hardly remembered anything about it specifically. Did you read it? What did you think?

Other Pulitzer winners included Alan Taylor for history, Dan Fagan for nonfiction, Megan Marshall for biography, Annie Baker for playwriting (yeah!) and Vijay Seshadri for poetry. But everyone's really talking about the Washington Post and the Guardian's joint Pulitzer for covering Edward Snowden, and the Boston Globe's marathon bombing coverage. Read more over at Longreads.

2 comments:

j.thrift said...

I decided to skip it, but I know a lot of people who read it because of the Tournament of Books. I love your typo in the first sentence (goldfish versus goldfinch) and I may call it The Goldfish from now on.

Ellen said...

Boy, is my blogging game rusty that I let that one slip by! Thanks for catching that. Sadly, I think if it had been about a painting titled "The Goldfish" I think the themes would have been TOO obvious.