03 December 2013

November Unbookening: Train, plane and automobile


Checked out 11 e-books from the library
Got 3 from my mom
Bought 4
Received 1 in a book swap (BORN ROUND)
19 in

Returned 10 to the library
Donated 3
Returned 1 to Mom
14 out

Books read in November
Henry James, THE WINGS OF THE DOVE
Jordan Belfort, THE WOLF OF WALL STREET
Brian J. O'Connor, THE $1,000 CHALLENGE
Rebecca Musser, THE WITNESS WORE RED (review coming up tomorrow!)
Beatriz Williams, A HUNDRED SUMMERS
Goodlad, Kaganovsky and Rushing, MAD MEN, MAD WORLD: SEX, POLITICS, STYLE IN THE 1960S (is it spring yet? Seriously...)
Erik Larson, IN THE GARDEN OF BEASTS
Jason Mulgrew, 236 POUNDS OF CLASS VICE PRESIDENT
Frank Bruni, BORN ROUND
Jon Acuff, QUITTER
Jo Baker, LONGBOURN
Evelyn Waugh, A HANDFUL OF DUST
Pamela Haag, MARRIAGE CONFIDENTIAL

One major difference between my Chicago and New York life is my commute. I was fortunate in my last job to be just 40 minutes and 1-2 trains away (depending on whether I transferred or not), enough for a good chunk of reading but not tedious. Now my commute is over an hour each way, and it happens in stages, bus to train to bus again. (And yes, I thought about getting a car, but that would only save me time in the morning when there's little traffic. However you cut it, it's just far. Still, it is strange to work with so many car commuters after living in NYC where that is so rare.)

When I moved in September my commute shifted a little and I wasn't sure how to get as much reading time out as I could. Some mornings I just zoned out to podcasts (a completely okay choice, and sometimes I still do this!) But now I've got the process streamlined. I am getting a significant amount of reading done, though still crossing my fingers that next year we will move across town so I won't have to get up as early.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed Born Round. I hope you are able to cut down your commute! :) ~Jen

Ellen said...

Thanks. Yeah, I don't have to drive, so I think I still prefer it... but I can deal for now!