31 May 2005

Slight change of plans

So remember how I said I was going to start the Modern Library list at the bottom and work my way to the top? That's going to have to change, at least for the moment.

For the past five months I've been in a foreign country where English books are easy to get but the selection is not top-notch. The library I've been using the most (where I went Monday to look for books for the impending start of this project) did not have #100, nor #99, nor #98... and so on down for quite a while.

So while I'll be back in the States within two weeks, I'll be starting with a kind of bibliographic free-for-all. The first book will be Edith Wharton's THE HOUSE OF MIRTH (#69), and I will start it tomorrow. Yikes, tomorrow. I'd better do some mental calisthenics before then.

No comments: