29 September 2008

This week: My childhood on DVD.

A few weeks ago I wrote about BALLET SHOES and was pleased with a new adaptation of the book I loved as a kid. This week brings a DVD release whose source is so dear to me, I'm not going anywhere near this Canadian television series which makes it to DVD in the States this week. But perhaps you will be braver than I!

So if you were a fan of Lucy Maud Montgomery's EMILY series -- EMILY OF NEW MOON, EMILY CLIMBS and EMILY'S QUEST -- you may want to check out "Emily of New Moon," a CBC adaptation from 1998 starring Martha MacIsaac. (You may have seen her more recently, and raunchily, as Michael Cera's love interest in "Superbad.") Like Anne of Green Gables, Emily is a stubborn orphan who lives on Prince Edward Island; unlike Anne, Emily is adopted by relatives (a stern aunt and a nice aunt) and is much more serious and quiet, with a passion for writing.

Montgomery of course is a Canadian national treasure and it makes perfect sense that this series, which is assumed to be at least semi-autobiographical, would be adapted for TV. But I'm still not going to see it because I have probably re-read the series at least 25 times and I don't want my picture of the books ruined. No offense, Canada!

Read also

1 comment:

Emily said...

i loved the emily books too. i haven't read them in ages though.